In 2020, Chinese automaker BYD introduced the electric vehicle known as the Atto 3. This vehicle has become one of Australia’s most popular and affordable electric cars, surpassing the Tesla Model 3 in sales. As of May 2023, the Atto 3 has sold 1,448 units compared to Tesla’s 1,298 units. In this blog post, today will look at the specifications and designs of the Atto 3 and the BYD Atto 3 problems and issues reported by current owners. We will evaluate whether this car is a wise investment for 2023.
The Atto 3’s interior is surprisingly spacious for a car of its size. The well-designed and nicely finished cabin comfortably accommodates two passengers. The seats are comfortable, and the cabin materials are of high quality. The Atto 3 also has a touchscreen infotainment system, climate control, and a rearview camera.
The well-organized dashboard features a straightforward and user-friendly layout. A large touchscreen display dominates the dashboard’s centre, providing access to various features such as the car’s infotainment system, climate control, and navigation. The touchscreen is responsive and simple, with sharp and clear graphics.
The seats in the Atto 3 are supportive and comfortable, with plenty of head and legroom. The cabin materials are high quality, with a mix of soft-touch plastics and fabric upholstery. Because the seats are height-adjustable, drivers of all sizes can find a comfortable driving position.
The exterior of the BYD Atto 3 is sleek and modern, making it stand out from the crowd. Its small size makes it ideal for navigating narrow city streets, and its aerodynamic shape adds to its overall efficiency. The car’s sloping roofline and streamlined profile create a sense of motion even when stationary.
The front of the vehicle features a distinctive grille with a chrome finish, flanked by a pair of sleek headlights. The car’s LED daytime running lights give it a futuristic appearance, while the bodywork’s sharp lines and creases add a touch of aggression.
Moving on to the sides, the Atto 3 has a distinct character line that runs from the front fender to the rear, giving the vehicle a sense of flow and direction. The 14-inch alloy wheels add to the car’s sporty appearance, while the blacked-out B-pillars create the illusion of a floating roof.
The vehicle’s rear features a distinct set of taillights extending onto the rear fenders. The rear spoiler and diffuser give the car a sporty appearance, and the rear-mounted charging port is convenient and easy to access.
Atto 3 Features
The BYD Atto 3 includes a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, a rearview camera, keyless entry, and push-button start. Air conditioning, power windows, and various safety features such as electronic stability control, anti-lock brakes, and hill start assist are also included.
For those looking for even more features, the Atto 3 is also available in an extended version, which includes a panoramic sunroof, leather upholstery, and a premium sound system. The Atto 3 has a maximum range of up to 410 kilometres on a single charge, which is more than sufficient for most city drivers. A 7.4 kW(single phase) home charger can recharge the car’s battery in as little as 4 hours or a fast charger in as little as 45 minutes.
Price(Standard & Extended)
In terms of price, it is an Australian budget-friendly EV.
Atto 3 Standard: This 2023 Standard SUV version’s starting price is $48,011 MRLP. It comes with 6 years/150,000 km of vehicle warranty & 8 years/160,000 km battery warranty.
Atto 3 Extended: This 2023 Extended SUV version’s starting price is $51,011 MRLP. It also comes with 6 years/150000km of warranty & 8 years/160,000 km battery warranty.
BYD Atto 3 Problems
Every car has its unique features, which ultimately come down to personal preference. However, there are some areas where BYD could improve upon. For instance, the tires lack sufficient grip (compared to other cars in its class), which is evident in our braking and emergency swerve tests. Additionally, the digital speed display is quite small, and the instrument screen would benefit from a light sensor to prevent dimming when driving with headlights on during the day.
There have also been reports of rust issues, fogging issues, charge rate concerns, dashboard lights dimming issues, Apple car play issues, and many more.
Issues reported by BYD Atto 3 owners:
- Radio and electrical system malfunction
– Radio turns on itself after parking the car, even when everything else is turned off.
– Frequency of occurrence has increased over time.
– Suspected connection to the 12V battery issue, which drains quickly if the traction battery charge is low.
- Severe fogging issue:
– Locking the car normally causes windows to fog up.
– Fogging can be prevented by performing a specific lock/unlock sequence multiple times an hour.
– Believed to be an HVAC configuration issue.
- Windshield fogging issue:
– Extreme fogging observed in specific conditions.
– Inability to run the air conditioning on recirculation mode and heat on maximum to manage moisture absorption.
- Power failure issue:
– Car suddenly became unresponsive without any warning or indication of a problem.
– Discovered the starter battery had a very low voltage reading.
– Recharged the battery successfully and installed a Bluetooth battery monitor.
– Highlighted deficiencies in customer care and support, including limitations on battery replacement.
- Sunshade issue:
– Sunshade is stuck in the fully open position and unable to close.
– Attempts to resolve through menu options and initialization methods have been unsuccessful.
- SIM card issue:
– No data activation despite waiting for the specified time period.
– Original DiLink screenshot lacked an ICCID number, indicating a problem with the SIM card or reader.
– Frustration with customer care’s failure to identify the issue initially.
- Apple CarPlay issue:
– Apple Map lacks turn-by-turn voice activation.
– Attempts to resolve by adjusting Bluetooth and iPhone volume have been unsuccessful.
– Suspected software bug causing the lack of sound.
- 12V battery issue:
– 12V battery frequently becomes completely discharged, rendering the car inoperable.
– Temporary revival achieved through trickle charging, but the battery quickly drains again.
– Seeking information about the discharge-recharge cycle in EVs and when the 12V battery is topped up from the main battery.
- Rubber Tree mats issue:
– Unsatisfactory customer service experience with Rubber Tree regarding feedback on their mats for Atto 3.
– Requested a full refund due to the length and misleading photos of the mats.
– Suggests considering Evgogo mats as a better alternative.
- Rust issue & explanation from the dealership:
– Upon removal of parts of the damaged Atto 3, there was a gremlin of rust.
– The dealership explains that the rust issue was found in a car sold at auction as a statutory write-off after a severe accident.
- Charging issue and lack of quick response from BYD:
– Error message “Check OBC System” prevents charging attempts.
– Car has been sent back to BYD for investigation; it took a long time to respond.
However, not all reviews are bad, as one owner commended Tasmania’s service. They discovered a defective speaker in their new Atto 3 and scheduled a replacement. When they couldn’t pick up the automobile because they were stopped at work, they emailed the customer experience manager and were immediately issued a loaner car. The owner was pleased with the service given. It is also recommended to consider contacting the service and repair centre to book an appointment regarding the problems.
The BYD Atto 3 is an excellent option for those looking for a low-cost electric vehicle in 2023. The vehicle has various features, including a stylish exterior and a spacious and comfortable interior. The Atto 3 was recently awarded the title of Best Electric Vehicle Under $70,000 for the 2023 Drive Car of the Year, beating out competitors like the MG ZS EV and Nissan LEAF. Despite some rare issues, the car has received mostly positive feedback from owners and critics. For those seeking an affordable electric vehicle, the Atto 3 is a great choice.